Ottawa is a vibrant city with plenty of indoor activities to enjoy. Whether you’re interested in art, history, or just having fun, there’s something for everyone. Whether you’re looking to stay active during the winter months or want something to do on a rainy day, these popular enclosed-space attractions have year-round entertaining experiences for all ages. And if you’re looking for more indoor spots in the city, check out:
Enjoying an afternoon or evening indoors doesn’t have to involve cough surfing. Grab your walking shoes, bring a friend or two, and let’s take a tour in Ottawa’s most intriguing interiors.
- How We Chose The Best Indoor Activities In Ottawa
- The Best Indoor Activities Ottawa
- 1) National Gallery of Canada
- 2) CF Rideau Centre
- 3) House of TARG
- 4) Stray Dog Brewing Company
- 5) Canadian Museum of Nature
- 6) Escape Manor
- 7) RCMP Stables Visitor Tours
- 8) ISO SPA Floatation Centre
- 9) Canada Science and Technology Museum
- 10) Level One Game Pub
- 11) Hintonburg Pottery
- 12) OCR Academy
- 13) Aquatopia Conservatory
- 14) Bubble Madness
- 15) PaintNite
- 16) GOLFOMAX
- FAQs About The Best Indoor Activities In Ottawa
- Final Thoughts
How We Chose The Best Indoor Activities In Ottawa
Selecting the finest indoor activities in Ottawa required a careful consideration of various factors that contribute to a memorable and enjoyable experience. Here’s an insight into our selection process:
- Diversity of Activities: We aimed to cover a diverse range of indoor activities that cater to different interests and age groups, ensuring there’s something for everyone in Ottawa.
- Popularity and Reviews: We delved into visitor reviews, ratings, and feedback from both locals and tourists to gauge the popularity and overall satisfaction of each activity.
- Uniqueness and Innovation: We prioritised activities that bring something unique or innovative to the table, providing visitors with fresh and exciting experiences.
- Accessibility: Activities that are easily accessible and located within the city limits or its immediate surroundings were given preference to ensure convenience for all.
- Quality of Facilities: The quality of facilities, equipment, and services provided by each activity venue played a significant role in our selection process.
- Engagement and Enjoyment: Activities that are engaging, immersive, and offer a high level of enjoyment were chosen to guarantee a memorable time for participants.
- Local Recommendations: We considered recommendations from locals who have a deep understanding of the city’s indoor offerings and can vouch for their appeal.
After meticulous research and assessment, we present to you the 16 best indoor activities in Ottawa! And if you want to learn more about our selection process, consider checking out our article on how we choose the best.
The Best Indoor Activities Ottawa
1) National Gallery of Canada
Canada’s national art museum and one of North America’s largest with over 93,000 works. The collection features diverse pieces from Canadian and global artists, spanning eras and media. Highlights include Group of Seven paintings, Inuit sculptures, and multimedia installations. The museum hosts free special exhibitions and public programs.
2) CF Rideau Centre
In downtown Ottawa, this premier mall offers an exceptional shopping experience with over 170 retailers, encompassing luxury boutiques and renowned brand stores. Recent expansion added four levels of retail space, and the mall features exclusive promotions, a rooftop park, Westin Hotel, and connections to Shaw Centre and transit.
3) House of TARG
4) Stray Dog Brewing Company
A family-run microbrewery that crafts diverse craft beers, notably the Inukshuk Canadian IPA. Visitors can tour the dog-friendly brewery, indulge in tastings, and explore their taproom and patio serving Venezuelan-Canadian fusion food. A dog-friendly spot
5) Canadian Museum of Nature
Canada’s national natural history museum, located in the Victoria Memorial Museum Building, displays over 14.6 million specimens ranging from animals to minerals. Permanent galleries focus on fossils, mammals, birds, and rocks, offering a comprehensive global exploration.
6) Escape Manor
Diverse themed escape games and rooms across various locations in Elgin, Hintonburg, Nepean, And Diefenbunker. Their themed rooms range from thrilling to non-scary, encouraging teamwork and problem-solving. Escape Manor Junior offers kid-friendly options. They also provide axe throwing, darts and online room escapes.
7) RCMP Stables Visitor Tours
A national agricultural museum offering public programs and exhibitions that delve into Canada’s agricultural history and the connection between agricultural science and everyday life. The museum, functioning as a “working farm,” spans multiple buildings within the central farmhouse.
8) ISO SPA Floatation Centre
A lavish floatation therapy spa in downtown Ottawa. Experience i-Sopod floatation tanks, offering sensory deprivation for relaxation and stress relief in effortless floating. Choose from various packages, including singles, couples, and memberships. Additional wellness services include massage, acupuncture, and reflexology.
9) Canada Science and Technology Museum
The national museum devoted to Canada’s scientific and technological heritage engages visitors through 11 interactive exhibitions highlighting the nation’s science, technology, and innovation. The museum’s mandate is to promote exploration of Canadian scientific and technological culture, sharing its history, exhibits, objects, and data.
10) Level One Game Pub
A popular board game and video game pub in downtown with over 800 video games and 300 board games available to play. The pub serves regular pub food, including gluten-free and vegan options, and has a fully licensed bar.
11) Hintonburg Pottery
A studio and shop in Ottawa’s Hintonburg neighbourhood with hands-on pottery classes in hand-building, wheel-throwing, glazing and firing techniques, and more. It houses a large pottery collection from local and regional artisans. Visitors can purchase one-of-a-kind pottery pieces while immersing themselves in the world of ceramics.
12) OCR Academy
Ottawa’s first and only obstacle course training and fitness centre. Their comprehensive programs cater to all ages and fitness stages, emphasising fostering strong kids and well adults. Boasting a diverse array of obstacle course training tools and skilled trainers, OCR Academy aids individuals in surmounting challenges and enhancing overall wellness.
13) Aquatopia Conservatory
A unique and beautiful greenhouse conservatory with a captivating variety of tropical plants available for purchase year-round. Discover patio palms, flowering trees, and hanging plants. The conservatory also offers ecosystem ponds, which provide a backyard oasis for visitors to relax.
14) Bubble Madness
An indoor playground and amusement company with venues in Ottawa-Gatineau. Kids can enjoy inflatable bouncy castles, slides, obstacle courses, and interactive games. They offer birthday packages and events, prioritising a secure and joyful environment for kids to have fun and explore.
In-person, online and private painting events that take place at various Ottawa locations, including Pub 101 in The Market and Milestones Lansdowne. Participants can enjoy drinks and snacks while being guided through the process of creating their own painting to take home.
An indoor golf facility in Ottawa offering golfers of all ages and skill levels the chance to play indoors. State-of-the-art simulators create a realistic golf experience. They provide various packages, including hourly, group, and lesson options.
FAQs About Indoor Activities
Engaging in indoor activities brings five key benefits: weather independence, comfort and safety, diverse options for all interests and ages, year-round availability, and fostering social interactions with friends and family.
Getting out of the house and indoors somewhere can make for an engaging encounter. Some of Ottawa’s best experiences happen indoors—and are as diverse as the city itself. Individual exploits, couples activities, and group adventures are all possible, depending on where you want your day or night to take you.
What are your favourite things to get up to in the city while stuck indoors? Let us know in the comments!